Self-Regulation and Students with Mental Illness

Vanderlind

Ren VanderLind

Ren VanderLind is a doctoral student at Texas State University studying Developmental Literacy. Her research interests are currently focused on the issues facing college students with mental illness, particularly in terms of resilience, stigmatization, and identity development. She currently works as the Graduate Coordinator in the Texas State University Writing Center. Questions or comments can be directed to Ren at ren.vanderlind@txstate.edu.

College student mental health has been shown to relate to lack of academic success, persistence, and degree completion (Breslau, Lane, Sampson, & Kessler, 2008; Cranford, Eisenberg, & Serras, 2009; Elion, Wang, Slaney, & French, 2012; Keyes, Eisenberg, Perry, Dube, Kroenke, & Dhingra, 2012; Thompson, Connely, Thomas-Jones, & Eggert, 2013).  Research has also demonstrated how students reporting mental health concerns may benefit from development of self-regulatory skills (Van Nguyen, Laohasiriwong, Saengsuwan, Thinkhamrop, & Wright, 2015).

When working to support the needs of students with mental illness, one might feel pressured to have all the answers; on the contrary, there is no one solution for supporting the needs of college students with mental illness as symptoms and necessary supports are rather diverse.  One promising practice for increasing the success of college students with mental illness is teaching self-regulatory skills alongside explicit instruction in how to apply these skills outside the classroom.

By teaching self-regulatory processes, one can provide support to students with mental illness without requiring that they self-disclose their diagnoses or that you specialize your instruction; development of self-regulatory skills is beneficial for all students.  To accomplish this, ask students to monitor their behaviors and the efficacy of them as well as how they might go back and revise their approach for a better outcome.  Then make explicit how this can apply to their academic pursuits as well as their personal lives.  Show students how using self-regulation can benefit them when they are struggling outside the classroom, such as in instances in which they need to seek help.

Developing metacognitive and self-regulatory skills will benefit this population immensely, as building self-awareness is a large component of managing mental illness symptoms.  If you can help students grow in self-awareness, you can help them become more in tune with their personal and academic needs.  It may seem like a small step, but teaching these skills to your students can help those who have diagnosed mental illnesses persist through the course, semester, and academic career.

References

Breslau, N., Lane, M., Sampson, N., & Kessler, R. C. (2008). Mental health disorders and subsequent educational attainment in a US national sample. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 42, 708-716.

Cranford, J. A., Eisenberg, D., & Serras, A. M. (2009). Substance use behaviors, mental health problems, and use of mental health services in a probability sample of college students. Addictive Behaviors, 34, 134-145. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.09.004

Elion, A. A., Wang, K. T., Slaney, R. B., & French, B. H. (2012). Perfectionism in African American students: Relationship to racial identity, GPA, self-esteem, and depression. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 18(2), 118-127.

Keyes, C. L. M., Eisenberg, D., Perry, G. S., Dube, S. R., Kroenke, K., & Dhingra, S. S. (2012). The relationship of level of positive mental health with current mental disorders in predicting suicidal behavior and academic impairment in college students. Journal of American College Health, 60(2), 126-133.

Thompson, E. A., Connelly, C. D., Thomas-Jones, D., & Eggert, L. L. (2013). School difficulties and co-occurring health risk factors: Substance use, aggression, depression, and suicidal behaviors. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 26, 74-84.

Van Nguyen, H., Laohasiriwong, W., Saengsuwan, J., Thinkhamrop, B., & Wright, P. (2015). The relationships between the use of self-regulated learning strategies and depression among medical students: An accelerated prospective cohort study. Psychology, Health, & Medicine, 20(1), 59-70.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Self-Regulation and Students with Mental Illness

1. You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really one thing that I think I might by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very wide for me. I am looking ahead in your next publish, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

2. after reading this article post to completion, this is very high quality and very useful content.

3. Hurrah, that’s what I was searching for, what a stuff!
    present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web site.

4. Strange, your page shows up with a yellow hue to it, what color is the main color on your site?

5. Free new yr to forex the Options traders.

6. bút frixion says:

Rồi đòi bồi thường cho tôi cái voucher 15%.

7. safedrive says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and amusing, and let
    me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The problem is something which not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.

Now i’m very happy I found this during my search for something concerning this.

8. Bạn muốn mua bút bi hay bạn muốn mua bút chì ?

9. Tell us a few typical day at Launch Academy.

10. internetnews says:

I enjoy looking through a post that can make men and
    women think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

11. internetnews says:

Hi there friends, good post and good arguments commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.

12. Khi trận đấu diễn ra trước 10 phút sẽ có hyperlink.

13. pc says:

What’s up, its good piece of writing regarding media print, we all be familiar with media is a
    great source of data.

14. indutry says:

That is very interesting, You’re an overly skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and look ahead to looking for extra
    of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your
    site in my social networks

15. I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s
    equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt,
    you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is
    an issue that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I found this in my search for something relating to this.

16. internet says:

My brother recommended I would possibly like this website.
    He was once entirely right. This submit truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

17. technology says:

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He used
    to be entirely right. This publish actually made my day.

You can not imagine just how so much time I had
    spent for this information! Thank you!

18. Amazing! Its truly remarkable post, I have got much clear idea concerning
    from this paragraph.